Monday, August 12, 2013

Mundane isn't so Dull

Last week in a job interview I was asked if I thought the job might be too mundane for me. You know, because I have spent the last year living in Ireland. And I have two masters degrees. And because maybe I should "be in politics fighting for immigration reform."

Then, I was in Galway this weekend and I was having lunch with friends and I told them one of my favorite stories from my short life. It is a story they hadn't heard and well, it is hilarious.

And then today I was walking home and I smiled because I spent my Saturday enjoying friendship, beer and sunshine.

It was then that I realized there is no such thing as mundane.

I have never considered myself to be extraordinary. I am not one to go out searching for hilarious moments to tell years later, they just sort of happen. That is how I know there is no such thing as mundane. Life always has something to offer even if that is reading a good book or watching the same episodes of Grey's Anatomy over and over again. Sure, there are moments that stand out more than others. Like, the time I got rug burn on my face (the hilarious story from Saturday). Or the time I made a fort out of kitchen cabinets. Or when I ran around my friends backyard with a broken foot. But all of those moments started out as regular days.

Regular days where you wake up and see people and do things and experience life. Then one day you tell a story of how you spent a weekend in Pittsburgh and you and your 11 other friends probably should have gotten kicked out of the hotel you were staying in. Or the days you  do something as simple has have a dance party with your nieces or taco eating contests with your family. Or you read Harry Potter for the 1000th time.

We get so caught up in thinking life is mundane and boring because we don't always have exciting stories to tell. But every story is exciting to someone. Every moment matters. Every encounter with yourself and others means something. Don't rule anything out.

1 comment: