Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Dreaded Question & What To Do About It

I was recently out at the bar. (I live in Ireland, please don't act surprised by this). This is not something new. In fact, I've been frequenting bars since May, 2009. You meet some fun people at bars and pubs. It gives you the opportunity to expand your horizons and have new and exciting conversations. I have found, however, that there is a question I have come to dread. I cringe the moment I feel the question coming. I wish I was invisible when the words come out of the persons mouth.

... "What do you study?"

Okay, maybe the wishing to become invisible and cringing is a little over dramatic. But, I really dread the question.

You see, I am getting a Master's of Philosophy in Intercultural Theology and Interreligious Studies. Also, to add to my nerd collection, I have a Master's of Arts in International Peace and Conflict Resolution. And a Bachelor's of Arts in Theology. I normally don't get passed the first degree in these conversations however. And, in recent months have shortened my answers to "Religion and Theology". It is somehow easier for people to comprehend.

Not to give myself an ego boost (on purpose anyway) but these degrees make me pretty awesome. The trouble comes not with the nerd-y-ness of having (almost) 3 degrees but in what they are in. This is particularly true for the last one. Also, on the universal list of things people don't like to talk about, religion and theology are up there pretty high. Interestingly enough, despite them being on the top of the 'do not talk about' list, people I have encountered are pretty willing to talk about them.

Before people are willing to talk about it, however, there is the period of confusion and questioning that comes along with it. Heads turn a little to the side like a dog who is confused. Eyebrows go up. And I'm pretty sure every single person thinks to themselves, 'Is this girl one of those crazy religious people?' The cool thing is, once we get those weird parts out of the way the conversation can be really great.

But there is still a part of me who dreads the question. And I have to reflect on why. And, more importantly, what to do about it.

I can tell you without a doubt why I dread this question: it makes me feel weird. It is one of those 'you picked the strangest academic path possible once and now you are doing it again, you big dummy' feeling. But, as I have reflected more on this question and my life over the past few days, I have come to realize there is something deeper that surpasses the weird feelings I get with this question. And this is the part that helps me reflect on what to do next.

Sure, there is part of me that wishes I had picked another path in life. That I had gotten a degree in Criminal Justice or Nursing or that I wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer.. Those choices would have made the 'what do you study' question less awkward to answer. But those choices are not what I am passionate about.

And passion is the key to this.

Before I came to Ireland I worked at Target. Now, if you know me, you'll know that I think Target is awesome and in reality I could spend all my money there. But, I dreaded going to work most days. The job wasn't fulfilling or exciting. It was dull and boring. It was not at all what I am passionate about.

On the flip side, the thought of being able to go to work everyday and build community with college students is thrilling. The prospects have having serious conversations about things that matter is amazing. The idea of being able to educate students (and others) on things that are happening in the world so they can go make a difference makes me want to do a happy dance. The thought of interacting with individuals with different backgrounds, religions and experiences and learning from those individuals is awesome. I could go on, but I'll stop.

The point is, passion is key. The question is awkward. The looks you get are not at all helpful on you quest to the future. But despite all of that, if you remain passionate and excited about your future the rest won't matter.

As individuals, we have been provided gifts, talents and characteristics that make us perfect for a specific field of study or a job. If we are lucky we will be able to grow into those things, become passionate about them and ultimately change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment